Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I believe a spoof on one of those newer Mastercard commercials could best sum up my feelings about Elliot's birthday....

Tinkertown ticket: $10.

Dart game: $3.

Mini donuts: $2.50.

Watching Paul get stuck at the top of a roller coaster: Priceless.

* * *

In other words, we had fun. And I think we surprised Elliot (possibly even more then he let on).

I worked at my 'grunt job' (hmmm, that term sounds more titilating then it really is) in the morning and then rushed about organizing people and cars. Eventually Colin, Jan, Paul, Greg, and myself were squished into my tiny VW Golf speeding along the highway to Tinkertown. We got there a little earlier then we were supposed to which gave us time to spray paint the sign: HAPPY B-DAY ELLIOT! it read in slime green paint.

We then attempted to attach balloons to the sign.

Well, Jan and Paul did.

There were around 8 balloons to begin with and by the time they were finished there were 2. I don't know how many times I heard Paul say to Jan, "I TOLD you we should have brought ALL of the balloons!" :P

Anyways, we set up on the highway with camera in tow. In no time at all (well, 30 minutes), Elliot and Melissa pulled up in their snazzy black car.

Just as I'd foretold Elliot was touched and amazed by our wonderful surprise.

In fact, the first thing he said was, "But I don't wanna go to Tinkertown!"

And so the coercion and the dragging began.

But after a few injections of mini-donuts, cotton candy, and ice cream as well as some bribes in the way of stuffed animals, he was well on his way to experiencing gleeful child-like fun.

Of course, the highlight of the afternoon was when Paul got stuck at the highest peak of Tinkertown's highest (in other words, not very high) roller coaster ride and the owner of Tinkertown had to climb up the track to dislodge Paul's car and push it into movement again.

1 comment:

Elliot said...

Well, I was touched.

I also felt like I was gonna barf after that spinny ride!

:-)