Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mouseworld adventures & the impermanence of reality

I haven't been writing on this blog much (no kidding, hey?) because I've been writing on our Disney trip blog instead. I saw a sign in a museum today that said something like "in the end, all we'll have left are our memories." Not a very cheery quote. At least, I don't think so. I've always been rather terrified over the fact that memories will someday be all that I have left because I don't think I have a very good memory. At least, that's my fear - that my memory is sub-par. In reality, my memory is probably average. But I feel like its not good enough. I want to be able to remember the details of everything. And of everyone who has been important to me. Maybe this feeling has been even more enhanced because of the many people who now only exist in my past, in my memory.*

Or, right now, it could be because I've been reading about Buddhism for my Exploring the Religious World class (which I love so far). According to Buddhism, everything in life is inconstant and impermanent, there is no such thing as a permanent identity, and suffering will always exist and affect us - no matter how much we might try to avoid it. And "even in the midst of pleasure, we often recognize that pleasure is fleeting... Try as we might to put everything in our lives in order, disorder soon reasserts itself. In the midst of happy experiences, we may worry about the people we love..." (Molloy, p. 127)

Anyhow. I didn't really mean to have that long and melancholy preface. All I intended to say was that the quote got to me and as a result I'm trying to write down the details of our trip. Its not exactly exciting stuff - just the things we did each day. But it feels good to write it down and to know that next year, or years from now, I'll be able to go back and read and really remember what it was like. Instead of just having a vague, foggy recollection (as is the case with other voyages I've taken).

Oh, and I had a good time, by the way. Maybe too good of a time. It made coming home a little sad at first. Its a bit of a letdown to have to go back to the real world. But at the same time its also nice to be able to relax and not have to rush everywhere.

Yep. That's what I'll keep telling myself.

:P

_______________
* Well, technically they do still "exist" in the real world - somewhere. But for me, its as if they don't exist. And vice versa, I guess. (This goes back to the exJW thing.)